Big News: FounderDating is joining OneVest to build the largest community for entrepreneurs. Details here
Latest Notifications
You have no recent recommendations.
Name

Entrepreneur
    Entrepreneur
    Entrepreneur
    Entrepreneur

Microsoft Stack

John -

Have you actually experienced "money people" who won't fund a Microsoft
stack?   I'd be curious to hear more about that.

- Doug

On the web: my personal blog <http://www.douglastarr.com>,
Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/tarr11>,
Google+ <https://plus.google.com/107008262973272149670/>

19 Replies

John Rodley
John Rodley Entrepreneur
CTO & co-founder at Twiage

Did anyone ever say to me personally "we won't fund you because you're a
microsoft shop"?  No.  I have had any number of meetings hang up on the
Microsoft stack for some awkward moments before proceeding on with some
amount of scribbling in notebooks.  I've never pitched a pure Microsoft
stack, only systems that had some amount of Microsoft in critical areas -
SQL Server as the DB or .NET Web Services fronting SQL Server.  The LAMP
parts of the conversation always went pretty quickly and we always ended up
playing defense for the MS parts.

I don't particularly like the MS stack, so I'm not the guy to make the case
for it.  You can do a lot of things quickly with it, especially Web
Services.  The case against it?  Cost and the progression of cost as you
scale I think is one.  The narrower and lower-ceilinged talent base you
have to draw from on that side is another.  But I think their thinking is a
bit more simplistic and goes something like this:

- Open source is driving progress in the industry - if you're working in
   foss you might be on the bleeding edge, if you're working in MS you're
   probably not.
   - The smart, innovative guys who can "make something from nothing" are
   working in open source.
   - The guys who need to buy something that's mostly already done for them
   are working in Microsoft.

That said, I can dig up citations from among the many VC bloggers that
state baldly they won't talk to a MS shop.  Search through Suster, Wilson,
Andreesen, Horowitz ...

JR

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Douglas Tarr <douglas.t...@gmail.com>wrote:

Douglas Tarr
Douglas Tarr Entrepreneur • Advisor
Entrepreneur and Software Architect
Chris Robertson
Chris Robertson Entrepreneur
Technical Operations, DevOps, IT and all that jazz

I can speak from experience that several large funds (Sequoia, General
Catalyst) will fund a company only on a MS stack.

Chris

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Douglas Tarr <douglas.t...@gmail.com>wrote:

Brendan Duffy
Brendan Duffy Entrepreneur
Product Manager

Hey Chris,

I may have misinterpreted your last email, but are you saying that Sequoia
will only fund companies built on an MS stack? I'm pretty sure you can look
through Sequoia's portfolio and find plenty of stuff that's not built on MS
(Instagram, Dropbox, etc.).

I'm not bringing this up to be a pain in the ass. I think it illustrates
the point that the stack you choose to build on is not going to be make or
break you.

But I'd love to read a strong argument to the contrary.

- Brendan

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Chris Robertson <chrisbrobert...@gmail.com

Jia Jiang
Jia Jiang Entrepreneur
Entrepreneur, Author and Keynote Speaker Who Turns Rejection On Its Head

Any has shot demo/promo video for your software? If so, what site/service do you recommend?

Thanks!

Jia Jiang
Entrepreneur
Company: hooplus.com
Blog: entresting.com
Twitter: @jiajiang
j...@souplus.com

Michael Brill
Michael Brill Entrepreneur
Technology startup exec focused on AI-driven products

There are a few threads on this on Quora... but for anyone who is seriously hurting for cash, I was shocked by what you could get on fiverr.com.

This video (https://www.pitchphone.com/) cost him $15 to make.  Lots of constraints (fixed animation sequence and music - you can just change text) on what you can do, but still pretty amazing.

On Dec 21, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Jia Jiang <j...@souplus.com> wrote:

Cynthia Schames
Cynthia Schames Entrepreneur
Founder & CEO, AbbeyPost

Yep, I've done several. If we're doing mostly product-focused shots, I
really love Screenflow.

If it's more "editorial" with people talking, and cuts back to screenflow or
slides, etc., we've used iMovie pretty effectively.

If you want something professional, I HIGHLY recommend Simplifilm. Tell
them I sent you! :)

Cynthia Schames
Cofounder, AbbeyPost

James Bond
James Bond Entrepreneur
CTO at SupplyBetter

We used Camtasia, mostly because we happened to have a copy. It's pretty
powerful/flexible, but not cheap ($299) and may be overkill for what you
need.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Cynthia Schames
<cynthiascha...@gmail.com>wrote:

Dennis Robinson
Dennis Robinson Entrepreneur
Founder, svedu

camtasia's fantastic. quicktime will also some screencapture for you too if
you want to do it diy.

Kym McNicholas
Kym McNicholas Entrepreneur
TV Host, Tech Jounalist, Director of Extreme Tech Challenge, Host of KDOW Radio's NewFocus On Innovation

We use iShowU

Also... I have an idea for anyone doing demos at CES...especially of tangible products.

Bring a flip video camera, a laptop, and lots of thumb drives.

When a reporter shows interest, show them a demo, explain to them how it works, then offer the ability for them to do their own demo and analysis on your flip cam (you just tape them explaining and showing our your product works and what they think, then upload the video quickly to your computer, and transfer it to a thumb drive to give them. It makes it easy for many bloggers to have their own on camera experience with the product that they will most certainly share!!!! You will also end up with lots of youtube and vimeo clips of these demos floating around :)

On Dec 21, 2012, at 1:22 PM, James B wrote:

Join FounderDating to participate in the discussion
Nothing gets posted to LinkedIn and your information will not be shared.

Just a few more details please.

DO: Start a discussion, share a resource, or ask a question related to entrepreneurship.
DON'T: Post about prohibited topics such as recruiting, cofounder wanted, check out my product
or feedback on the FD site (you can send this to us directly info@founderdating.com).
See the Community Code of Conduct for more details.

Title

Give your question or discussion topic a great title, make it catchy and succinct.

Details

Make sure what you're about to say is specific and relevant - you'll get better responses.

Topics

Tag your discussion so you get more relevant responses.

Question goes here

1,300 Followers

Details
    Details
    Details
    Details
    Details
    Details
    Details
    Details
Know someone who should answer this question? Enter their email below
Stay current and follow these discussion topics?